Thursday 7 October 2010

so many despicable people

So, now you've had the happy blog I can get back to what's important - rants.

The world and all it's inhabitants never fails to amaze me with just how awful, disgusting, worthless and mean-spirited people can be. I've become so bleak in the last few years that I'm cynical about everything, especially where it involves any level of beleif or trust in my fellow wo/man. Recently I've found a lot of things I thought were dumb are actually not and I don't think I'm just bad at deciphering the worth of projects. I can only assume by the ridiculous and depressing things that happen every day in the vicinity of my house and to the (few, few) people that I know that the world at large is just an explosion of bastards screwing eachother over and over every single day. I'm stand-off-ish and happy about it, it's protective and I really think it's the only smart move. Anything that is really worth something will manage to break through my wall of dis-/mis-trust. I hope.

For a few years I didn't like charity. This probably stems from the appaullingly bad, and not to mention self-indulgent, student-made charity "events" that took place at my school. Basically it was a lisence for the self-important, the popular and the divas to dance and sing on a stage while the non-deluded students paid for the honour of being in the same room while it happened. Anyway, for there I never liked the way I was always bullied into giving money to charities. I hated the guilt trip sob story tv adverts. I am in agreement with the world at large that charity muggers on the street in town are the bane of everyones' existence. It wasn't just that though. I hated the way I was meant to feel sorry for other people's problems. Yes it was not nice that people were starving and sick in third world countries but I'd just become an adult, just started to have some money to my name and all of a sudden I'm to give it all away and solve a problem I wasn't even aware I had made? More recently I became even more angry due to the immense number of left-wing fantasists at university who lived at Amnesty International HQ and came over the thought of a new rally in London. Especially when these people were part of a team project and were too busy to do any work because of said rally. So I'm meant to do everything and can't even complain, because if you are complaining then you are basically Hitler.

So that was where I was at with that, the whole new social movement phenomenon I guess you can call it. But I did have a change of heart. I took a human rights class at university in my final year. So far I had managed to avoid all these extreme left wing nut-jobs but timetable and avoidence of bad lecturers led me here. Without going into a lot of detail it turned out the guy leading the class had a good grasp on reality. The literature wasn't as pie in the sky as the general public watered down discourse you get on the issue. And suddenly things seemed a bit easier. Suddenly the argument put to me before by some more xenophobic people of "theres poor people in Scotland, never mind Africa" became really obnoxious. These Scottish poor people are by definition those earning under £12,500. Does that actually compare? No. Which of these supposed undeserving African people has a 40" Plasma, a mobile phone for each and every brat spawned and every white good under the sun on credit from bright house? I'm guessing not many. I used to think that there was no point donating to international humanitarian charities. I used to think that without institutional change and the like there was no point, like throwing money into a bottomless pit. I don't anymore, if anything my cynicism works. It seems that very little will change in the third world in my lifetime and the least I can do now is try and reduce some pain, a little, if possible. I'm barely touching on the issue and this debate is not the main intent of my blog today, now I am going to go back to what the title refers.

The underclass. Neds. Junkie scum. Council/Benefit reliant work-ethic lacking morons. You know I really don't give a shit if this is offensive to anyone. Tell me not to say that after they piss and vomit in my close each Friday night. Tell me not to say that when Stuart's car gets broken into to fund some junkie's habit, again. Tell me not to say that when I don't have to have illiterate neighbours who intimidate and harrass you. I seriously can't deal with these people. The underclass. I can't remember which author it was who wrote of this but they wrote of an underclass existing below the "working class". People who contribute nothing to society. People who have a free ride. People who income tax payers fund. Decent people fund the designer clothes, the mod cons, the houses, clothes, food and drugs these people have.

Oh this argument is not new, not by far, and maybe it's just my current frame of mind, maybe it's a sign of the times, but they seem to be on the rise. These people don't deserve anything they have.

Then it comes time to cast my mind back to the good things, the good people. But like I said, recently there seems not to be too many going around. So if you are reading this please just try and be nice. Don't pop the balloon on someone's door "just for a laugh", don't stub out fag ends in someone's well tended garden and plant pots, don't do these stupid things people do which end up hurting someone, even if it's someone you don't care for. Why bother upsetting or hurting someone just for the hell of it? The decent people are the ones who tolerate the undecent ones, it should at least be reciprocal.

Anyways, I'm not UNHAPPY, I'm just frustrated with the world I live in as usual - who wouldn't be? At least for an hour to do a blog, lay it out, let it out and go back to being a smiley person.

To be sure though I just want to mention how grateful I am at the good police we have. Seriously, never thought about it before I moved to town but they are good guys. They are professional, they are protective, they are the barrier on the cliff between safe life and the hell of scumbags out there. Well all the police I've encountered have been top notch. As I always say to Stuart if I wasn't doing what i'm doing I'd be in the police. As my Mum always say to me, I'm too small.

Anyway this blog has been utterly dreary. Depressing. Monotomous. Tedious. Soul Destroying? I hope not. I'll try and salvage this emotional wreckage with something nice at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment